Archive for pce


Posted in Audio, music with tags , , , , on November 9, 2012 by pcedev

DefleMask version 8 is out. It’s a multisystem tracker, with huc6280 support, for all you tracker fans out there 😉

I hope we see some Battleofthebits compo’s for huc6280 now 🙂

Oh and it has sample support (all six channel if you need it).


MM1 / MM2

Posted in Megaman, NES2PCE with tags , , , , on November 9, 2012 by pcedev

Been pretty busy the last week and will be for a bit. But I’m slowly chugging away at stuffs. I got this weekend coming up, so I need to prioritize what pce related stuffs I should do. I’ve got a lot (DX still needs ending credits, Spriggan Mark 2 need ADPCM offsets to tracks to go to BL for english dub prep, Motteke Tamago needs the new title screen inserted, etc).

Megaman 2 is getting an overhaul to the audio emulation code, so that is holding back the public release. Thanks to Drakon for testing out Megaman CDDA version. I fixed a few bugs. I also added an easy mode to MM1 (people seem to think this game is hard 😛 ). I need to fix the CDDA track loading screen (it looks like crap when the tracks load). So these two games will be getting public releases soon.

Also, Megaman 2 with CDDA tracks. Or hell, just a version that’s on CD as-is. It’s gonna be difficult. The game is 256k as is. But CDRAM for SuperCD is 256k (plus 8k for system ram). At minimum I need an extra 8k free bank to put my emulation code in and for CDDA track code, I need another 8k free bank. I thought about removing some graphic data from the game, and load that in when it’s needed (like at the start of a level), but none of the graphic segments start exactly on an 8k page boundary. I.e. there are no clean breaks where I can do this. It’s definitely going to be tricky to say the least.

And finally, not MM related, Dragon Warrior. I never publicly released this game. It’s on CD. I’m gonna redo some the emulation code because this game was the very first NES2PCE project that I ever did, then release it publicly. I’ll have to figure out BRAM syscard lib and make a save option too.

Megaman 2 video

Posted in Megaman with tags , , , , , , , on October 25, 2012 by pcedev

I’ve posted this on a couple of forums, but I figure I should post it here as well.

I’m also looking for some brave souls to test this out for me (hucard/flash card first). I’d like to get some feedback other than my own tests. If interested, send a request over to tomaitheous_at_pcedev_dot_net and I’ll give you a link to the rom. I just ask that you not distribute it publicly and all that sort of thing.

Megaman 2 on PCE…

Posted in Megaman with tags , , , , , , , on October 22, 2012 by pcedev


Script inserter

Posted in translations with tags , , , , , , , , on March 26, 2012 by pcedev

Been working over the weekend, and today, on the script inserter for Spriggan Mark 2. I had lost my original inserter source, but I still have all my other source related to the project. Not too much of a big deal since the old inserter wasn’t fully finished. Just ironed out a handful of bugs today and the new inserter appears to be running great. The ADPCM pointer system inside the string was the source of most bugs. It’s a control code that contains a literal/absolute pointer (rather than relative) to an 8byte ADPCM string after the text block. I was able to cache the literal pointer location and back updated it without doing a two pass approach. Made things easier.

So I got level 1 draft inserted and tweaked with the formatting and timing a bit (timing in relation to the ADPCM stream accompanying the text speed). It’s looking great. SamIam subtitled a few cinemas too. Man, the story is really coming together (knowing the cinema details/dialogue makes the level dialogue more clear as well. The context, that is).

My long time friend has offered to take on the dubbing project for the game. I hope he knows what he has committed to ;>_>